Friday, April 29, 2022

Coffee? A Love Language?

 


Coffee? A Love Language**?


Have you ever wondered why that weekly cup of coffee you see on Instagram or Facebook is so important to me? Other than the apparent reasons…let me tell you a story.


It has been said:

“A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.” 

“I don’t need an inspirational quote; I need coffee.”

“Depresso: the feeling you get when you realize you’re out of coffee.”

“A bad day with coffee is better than a good day without it.”

“A day without coffee is like…just kidding, I have no idea.”


When Rodney was diagnosed, there were so many unknowns. His cancer/tumors diagnosis literally came out of nowhere. Blindsided is a great way to think about it. Lots of questions plagued me. 


  • Would he recover?

  • Would he recover but be disabled?

  • Would he ever preach again? 

  • Is our ministry going to end right here?

  • Would I be a widow at 49/50?

  • How will we explain all of this to Allison and Reilly? (the balance between what to tell them and what to leave out)


The emotions. 

The feelings. 

The tears. 

Time suddenly screeching to a halt. 

The shedding of the things that don’t truly matter. 

Asking why? Why us? Why not someone on death row who’s going to die soon anyway?

Begging God to let our family shine through our circumstances. 


Rodney, sensing my fear, made every attempt to make me (and the kids) feel as *normal* as possible. That Thursday coffee you see each week started as a simple act of comfort, but it has grown through the past few years to mean so much more. When he brings me coffee every week, it is a small reminder of what he means to me. Even at his weakest, he never stopped reminding me, with this small act of kindness, that everything will be ok and God will take care of us. Psalm 18:30 says, “As for God, his way is perfect…” Do I understand? No. Will I ever? Probably not this side of heaven. I just know and accept that HIS way is perfect, whether I understand or not. 


So when you see my weekly silly coffee posts, you can understand a little more about “why” #wechoosetofight, and continue to #prayforRandA. 


Andrea


**Many apologies to Gary Chapman for the snatching of the terminology. I *know* coffee is technically not a love language, but it does make a cool hashtag!


No comments:

Featured Post

Coffee? A Love Language?

  Coffee? A Love Language**? Have you ever wondered why that weekly cup of coffee you see on Instagram or Facebook is so important to me? Ot...