Friday, June 22, 2012

Ch, ch, ch, chia. . .in my Oatmeal?


I was recently made aware of a breakfast trend, made popular by Pinterest. 

It goes by many names. 

Porridge.
Refrigerator Oats
Overnight Oatmeal.

Anyway you name it, the stuff is amazing. 

I was skeptical at first. COLD oatmeal. Blech. 

I was so moved by this blog post that I decided to give it a try. 

Two jars. 

Just in case I wasn't impressed.

But impressed I was. . .

My personal recipe is as follows

  • 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 2 tsp. brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1/2 medium sized banana, mashed
Put everything into a pint sized glass jar with a lid. Swish it around a bit. Let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. 

I let mine sit out a while, so that it's not icy cold. I think somewhere between refrigerated and room temperature is good for me. Like I said before, I made two of them Wednesday night. I had one yesterday and one this morning. Honestly, I think the one from today was better. The flavor seemed fuller than yesterday's offering. Maybe it was just my imagination (running away with me) but it seemed like it kept me fuller, longer. 

I like these because they are so customize-able. . .let me know if you try them! I will tell you that I didn't use the Chia seeds (sing it with me "ch, ch, ch, chia!) And since I am not a Greek yogurt fan, I left it out too.

Tell me what you think! I would be thrilled to know your feedback and if you have any favorite flavors.

Here are some links to get you started!






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Funny thing. I just happened across this article and I am taking a Nutrition class this semester. TODAY I read why eating certain carbohydrates cold is healthier than eating them hot-- they are less digested and less fattening per se-- I'll save you the chemistry details but now that I read this I'm going to try the cold Oatmeal idea!...and hey it'll save time in the a.m. and that's really what I'm about!

Featured Post

Coffee? A Love Language?

  Coffee? A Love Language**? Have you ever wondered why that weekly cup of coffee you see on Instagram or Facebook is so important to me? Ot...