Gluten- and Nut-Free Southern Skillet Cornbread
- 1 Tbsp. bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 2 cups stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp. superfine sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 1/4 cups buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 450°F and place a rack in top third of oven.
2. Put the bacon fat in a large cast-iron skillet or a 9-inch baking pan and place in oven.
3. Mix cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and buttermilk; add to cornmeal mixture. Beat until smooth.
5. Pour batter into hot pan. Bake until top is browned and center springs back when gently pressed, 20 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve hot.