Monday, November 22, 2010

Thanksgiving Freezing Tips

Thanksgiving Freezing Tips

by Leanne Ely, C.N.C.
Here is a question I received that I believed warranted answering for everyone--


Hi- I LOVE "Saving Dinner"! My husband loves the food even more :) Here is my question: how feasible is it to freeze any Thanksgiving side-dishes in advance (ie cranberry sauce, casseroles, even stuffing)? Thanks! I am busy with a new baby AND hosting this year!

From, Flybaby Barbara


Hi Barbara!

Great question. You know how I'm all about doing things ahead for the holidays. And I'm all about the freezer, too. Can these two things be compatible and make for an even easier holiday? The answer is... yes and no. Some things just need to be done freshly and some things freeze beautifully, so let's take these things one by one:

1--The Turkey. Yeah, it freezes, but the quality will not be the same. This is one place where I will say make it fresh the day of. I make it the easy, juiciest most delicious way if I do say so myself. And the best part? You don't stuff it and you don't baste it. If you need the recipe (and you do!) go to savingdinner.com for the Thanksgiving Menu-Mailer--it's totally FREE, with recipes, grocery lists, timelines and even decorating hints for your table.

2--Cranberry sauce. Go ahead, knock yourself out! Again, I have a great recipe for it and it freezes beautifully. For the record, I've bought bags of fresh cranberries and frozen them in the bag I bought them in, used them about six months later and they were great too. Or you could save yourself some trouble and buy the canned variety.

3--Stuffing. I can tell you from personal experience that stuffing freezes fairly well. It can dry out a bit, but if you'll thaw it overnight in the fridge, then drizzle a little melted butter and broth over the top, cover it with foil and heat thoroughly through, it will work fine and no one will be the wiser.

4--Gravy. Good gravy, yes! Gravy is a wonderful thing to behold and it freezes fabulously. Here's a secret for you that I have in the Thanksgiving Menu-Mailer--extend your homemade gravy with some storebought stuff. Oh yeah, that's the best cheating secret out there. No one will know (your secret is safe with me!) and you too, will own the Endless Gravy Boat. This is important stuff when you're worried that your father-in-law is going to hog all the gravy!

5--Pies. You can freeze your pies--or you can buy them frozen, LOL. This is one place where I would either have people bring them or buy frozen myself. Having had a Thanksgiving baby myself (my son was born November 21st, 16 years ago!), I remember doing Thanksgiving and having my mom bring the pies.

6--Mashed potatoes. In my book, they are a non-freezable item--quality and texture suffer big time. I would make these fresh in the morning and put them in my crockpot on low all day. BUT, and this is the big BUT; TEST YOUR CROCKPOT FIRST with a pot full of taters (you can make cream of potato soup out of them later) to make SURE your crockpot won't burn them. All crockpots are not created equal and it's through trial and error that we learn our own crockpotty appliance's nuances.

7--Veggies. You can freeze sweet potato casseroles and green bean casseroles too. Those are not my particular favorite Thanksgiving veggies, but if they are mainstays at your table, rest assured, they freeze fairly well. May get a little watery on top, but easily blot-able with a paper towel and a little finesse.

8--Rolls and Butter. By all means, freeze the both of them. They freeze well, thaw well and quality does not suffer.

That about covers it. Hope it helps and Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!

Love, Leanne

PS: Want to WATCH me make Thanksgiving dinner? Check outwww.savingdinner.tv or buy the DVD! And don't forget we have aThanksgiving for the Freezer menu also!!

www.SavingDinner.com with Leanne Ely
Copyright (C) 2010 www.savingdinner.com Leanne Ely, CNC All rights reserved.

No comments:

Featured Post

Coffee? A Love Language?

  Coffee? A Love Language**? Have you ever wondered why that weekly cup of coffee you see on Instagram or Facebook is so important to me? Ot...