Sweet Potato Streusel Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. nutmeg
- 1/2 t. sea salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- *1/2 cup milk
- 3 T. melted butter
- 3 T. rapadura (dehydrated cane sugar juice) or brown sugar
- 1 T. butter, softened
- 2 T. chopped nuts (optional)
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Add honey, raisins, eggs, sweet potato, milk and butter. Stir until just mixed.
- Scoop into 15 paper lined muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle evenly over each muffin.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
*To make mashed sweet potatoes:
Scrub two medium sweet potatoes. Stab them each with a knife, then place them in a glass baking dish. Cover and bake for 1 hour or until the potato is very tender. Allow potatoes to cool a few minutes, then carefully peel them. Mash the potatoes with a fork or potato masher.