- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (available in health food stores)*
- 3/4 cup sucanat (natural evaporate sugar cane juice, available in health food stores)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup kefir or buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (use a cold pressed oil, like safflower)
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen**
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare muffin tin by greasing or line with paper cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients and make a well in the center. In another bowl, mix together wet ingredients till well blended. Now add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing till just combined; do not over mix.
- Gently fold in the berries and spoon batter into prepared muffin tins, 3/4 full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Cool for 5 minutes in the tin, then move to a wire rack to finish cooling.
*Whole wheat pastry flour is softer and finer than regular whole wheat flour, resulting in a nicer textured muffin.
**To keep blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the muffin pan, toss with a tablespoon of flour before adding to your batter.